History about River Valley, Tanglin Road Where Jervois Road Is Located At
Jervois Prive, where its located near River Valley Road, is situated in Central Singapore. The area is made up of leisure, commercial and residential developments. This area owes its name to its geographical location in a valley between Pearl’s Hill and Fort Canning Hill. In the 1840s, the Singapore river was sandwiched between two River Valley Roads. The one that runs to the south of the river is Havelock Road. Today, River Valley Road starts from the junction of Hill Street and Eu Tong Sen Street to Delta Road.
The history of River Valley Road dates back to 1819 when the British first arrived in this area. During this time, most of the River Valle was occupied by marsh and forest. The 1830s saw the establishment of gambier plantations. Although the exact dates of the construction of River Valley Road are not certain, a newspaper report that was published in 1842 suggests that the road existed by 1841.
One of the earliest residential developments in the area is Oxley Estate. The estate which was one of the biggest estates in the area then was owned by Thomas Oxley who worked with Straits Settlement as a senior surgeon. In the 1850s, the estate was split and sold off in lots mostly to Chinese businesspeople after Thomas Oxley retired and left for England. By 1880s, most middle-class residents occupied the area now comprising terraced houses and bungalows.
Click To Open to Read More About River Valley, Tanglin Road Where Jervois Prive Is Located At!
Tan Kim Seng, a Chinese businessman, was among the first Chinese people to establish residence in the area. In 1860, he built a bungalow at Panglima Prang next to River Valley Road. The house became home to up to 6 generations of Tan Family until it was acquired by a private developer 1982 and later demolished for development of a condo property. Other renown Chinese residents of River Valley include Teochew businessmen Peranakan merchant Lee Cheng Yan, Seah Song Seah and Tan Yeok Nee.
At the beginning of the 1920s, low-rise apartment blocks started showing up on River Valley. St Nicholas Flats was among the earliest to be developed along River Valley Road in 1921. By 1930s, a number of flats and houses were available in River Valley for rent and board. More redevelopments of River Valley started in the 1960s with the cleaning of the polluted Singapore River. Lee Kuan Yew, the Prime Minister in 1969, tasked the Public Utilities Board and the Public Works Department to develop a plan for cleaning up both Singapore River and its waterways. Following the plan, all lighter companies, hawkers and squatters were moved along Singapore River in a major clean-up operation.
Under the URA’s 1991 concept plan, the Robertson Quay and the Clarke Quay along River Valley Road were zoned for hotel accommodation, residential and entertainment purposes. The 1990s saw the development of several private condos along the River Valley Road.